Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sick...again

For some reason I thought being pregnant would mean I would never get sick, that I would have this amazing immunity. It is actually the complete opposite - I am on my third cold since the end of December. Blah! On top of that I think I have a pinched nerve in my back (again). I had one about a year ago and it was the most painful thing ever (or so I thought, more to come on that). It hurts to walk, to get up from a sitting position. I'm going to the doctor next week and hope to get cleared on going to the chiropractor and get it 'unpinched'.

Speaking of the most painful thing ever - I've had my share of physical pain. A pinched nerve in the back, having gum surgery and having the numbing stuff stop working half way through and finish it up feeling EVERYTHING....but by far the worst pain I've felt has been in the last two days. What am I talking about? LEG CRAMPS! Not just your normal 'ouch that is a charlie horse' kind but the kind that wakes you up from a dead sleep, screaming at the top of your lungs, making your husband almost crap the bed and the dog come running to lick your face. For the last two nights that is what I've experienced, one for each leg. The one last night was so bad I was actually sobbing from the pain before I was fully awake. I can't even explain how much it hurts. I did some research today, before work of course, and found a few sites that said women who experience leg cramps in pregnancy say that the pain is actually WORSE then having a baby. If that is true - I can handle labor! It appears there is not much you can do to stop them, they come from the blood vessels expanding and some other medical stuff I don't remember. The only suggestions the various sites I read had was increase water intake (done), eat more calcium (done) and eat more potassium (done). Hopefully tonight will be pain free. I don't think D's poor heart can take another night of being waken by his wife screaming in agony.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Brooke! You poor thing! I *completely* sympathize with you on the leg cramp situation. I used to get them, too! They were unlike any kind of cramp I had ever experienced before being pregnant. And always happened in bed. Many tears were shed during those months. :( I hope this phase passes quickly for you.

Claire said...

I would get really bad leg cramps when I was pg with Will. It sucked!! Bananas and potatoes both have a lot of potassium. Also, I've heard that electrolytes can help, too, so maybe have some Gatorade before bed?

Brooke said...

I've been eating a lot of bananas, but I'll try the Gatorade. And you are both right, it sucks big time. I woke up a few times last night at the beginning of getting more and was able to stretch them out. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Magnesium. It was a godsend for the leg cramps and it also helped me sleep better. I took 250 mg and it also counteracted the, um, "binding" I experienced from the calcium supplements. Good luck and feel better soon!

Yoga Mama said...

I have the same prob, preg or not, although it was worse while pregnant. I think Pedialyte is even better than Gatorade(the Pops are yummy!) Also, do stretches before bed, bringing your toes up towards your knees and hold them for a bit.

Brooke said...

Thanks for all the tips, gals. I'm going to have to try them all out. Fingers crossed for pain-free nights :)

Brooke said...

Thanks for all the tips, gals. I'm going to have to try them all out. Fingers crossed for pain-free nights :)