What a week. My mom has been in town for the last few days, helping me get ready for the baby shower and to have some quality 1:1 time. I have to admit it, I wouldn’t have been able to pull it off without her. She swooped in and cleaned like a maniac, pruned like crazy, and walked our dog to the point he now follows her around the house and not me. As nice as it is to have someone spoiling me like that I think the most exciting part was having her join me at doctor’s appointment this week and letting her hear the heart beat. I think she was almost as excited to take my picture with the doctor, which was not mortifying at all (yea right, flashbacks to awkward teenage moments!). Even though my mom and I aren’t super close like she and my sister are (call me little miss independent), I still find myself really miss having the motherly advice and attention the last few months. There is no other time then when one is pregnant that they really want their mom around, or so it has been my experience. I wish they lived closer to us!
The doctor appointment went well, pretty uneventful – unless you consider both my mom and the doctor gasping when they saw how swollen my feet and ankles were. Sadly, it was a good day for them. They have been swelling up so much it makes it painful to walk at times. Nothing I can do about it but keep drinking tons of water and watching my salt intake. The doctor did say that for a lot of women if they have swollen feet in one pregnancy they won’t have them in the next – fingers crossed!! I have my next appt in two weeks and after that I move to a weekly basis where I get ‘examined’ to check my progression. That goes on until the little one is here. I can’t believe how soon until she gets here.
My baby shower is tomorrow, which is a both thrilling and terrifying thing for me. Thrilling because I’m blessed to 11 people come from out of state for it. 11! (Plus all of my Boise friends and family.) I can’t believe how many people would invest the time and money to make the trek for little oh me. I’m excited to see them all, they trickle in throughout today and tonight (stupid work! wish I was out there hanging out with them now) and I’m looking forward to a low-key pizza and salad dinner at my house (which is clean thanks to my mom). The whole baby shower thing is terrifying to me because, despite what my sister keeps insisting, I don’t like to be the center of attention – especially in a large group (hence why our wedding had less than 50 people at it). My comfort level is with about 1-2 people at a time…even my beloved book club with 7 other women is a bit overwhelming to me at times. When it comes down to it I like to live life in my little kingdom, which consists of me, husband and dog. Oh, and soon to be baby also.
I should get back to work. I made sure to bust butt all week so I would have it easy on Friday, knowing my attention would be scattered due to excitement of seeing everyone tonight. I would try to sneak out early but 1) I have a meeting (lame late Friday afternoon meetings) and 2) I have this horrible guilty conscious where I feel bad if I don’t put in at least 45 hours a week – which I know makes sense especially for a very pregnant women. I think I will clean my desk, so that way if I go in to early labor at least I can come back to a clean desk.
Mmmmm...pie
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment